Current publications in Frontiers of Neuroscience, Scientific Report and Neurophysiologie Clinique validate the usage of Muse® as a cell EEG system to measure mind well being and efficiency at scale in real-world environments
TORONTO, Feb. 23, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — In a time with overburdened healthcare techniques, cell electroencephalography (mEEG) gadgets might supply a promising, cost-effective method to beat the restrictions of conventional lab-based EEG techniques by effectively accessing neural information for medical screening and prognosis. Not too long ago, researchers from a number of worldwide universities have efficiently used Muse®: the brain sensing headband—a shopper system for meditation and sleep by Interaxon Inc.—as an mEEG software to measure cognitive fatigue and prehospital stroke prognosis. The research discover fast EEG testing in assorted environments, outdoors of medical settings, laying the groundwork for the way forward for mind well being.
In January 2021, a group on the College of Victoria published a study on the efficacy of quickly assessing cognitive fatigue, a mind state related to elevated incidence of errorful efficiency. Principal investigator Olave Krigolson and his fellow researchers studied mind efficiency on a big scale by gathering the EEG information of 1,000 contributors finishing a process whereas utilizing Muse® headbands. In contrast to conventional EEG lab research, they ran fast 7 minute periods in quite a lot of venues, purchasing malls, cafeterias, workplaces, and on campus. The examine demonstrated that low-cost mEEG gadgets each conveniently and precisely measure EEG and human-event associated mind potentials (ERPs) that may predict cognitive states like fatigue.
“Our work clearly demonstrates that cell EEG techniques can be utilized to shortly assess the mind state of individuals in any atmosphere,” says Krigolson. “These outcomes counsel a capability to make use of cell EEG know-how for mind efficiency assessments in trade, healthcare, and private use settings.”
Demonstrated by new analysis efforts1,2, one other attainable use of the Muse® mEEG system is as a fast, cost-effective prehospital stroke prognosis software. In January 2020, an initial pilot study in Israel decided Muse® gadgets can be utilized to detect the presence of ischemic strokes. This was extra lately replicated by a analysis group on the College of Alberta. Their study published in October 2020, confirmed that the Muse® mEEG system was capable of predict each stroke and stroke severity in only a brief 3 minute recording.
Present prehospital scales used to distinguish between strokes and different situations that mimic strokes, can miss as much as 30% of acute strokes3. An correct stroke prognosis utilizing an mEEG system in prehospital settings would make sure that stroke sufferers obtain applicable and well timed care, whereas stroke mimics might keep away from pointless transport to hospitals.
“Digital Well being Expertise is having a dramatic impression on medical analysis and medical care. We’re seeing revolutionary applied sciences just like the Muse mEEG system emerge as cost-effective pathways to enhance medical care and to facilitate the usage of precision-medicine methods inside our present healthcare ecosystem,” says Dr. Walter Greenleaf, Interaxon’s Chief Science Officer. “Low-cost mEEG techniques and the huge quantity of brain-health information they’ll measure and analyze will make it attainable to conduct breakthrough analysis research within the neuroscience and well being know-how subject. The truth that mEEG techniques enable us to gather key mind well being info outdoors of the analysis lab—whereas the person is at residence for instance—gives a approach for us to gather dramatically extra related and correct info. These breakthroughs are very thrilling for the way forward for medication.”
Moveable gadgets akin to Muse® headbands supply a compelling various to cumbersome, complicated and costly lab EEG techniques. Because the COVID-19 and psychological well being epidemics proceed to overwhelm healthcare techniques, novel applied sciences, such because the Muse® mEEG system, supply the potential for disrupting accessibility and supply of care, assuaging the burden and bettering outcomes.
For interviews and extra info, contact Talia Noya at [email protected].
About Interaxon Inc. (aka Muse®):
Our group of neuroscientists, meditation lecturers, and engineers develop state-of-the-art experiences utilizing research-grade EEG know-how. Our purpose is to assist people construct a rewarding meditation and sleep observe to stay more healthy, happier, extra linked lives by human-centered know-how. Our award-winning neurofeedback gadgets, and premium content material providing of guided meditations with responsive studying performance, assist customers meditate and enhance sleep hygiene by offering real-time audio suggestions on their meditative state by the Muse® companion app. We make the intangible, tangible. Extra details about Muse® is on the market at www.choosemuse.com.
Milestones we’re enthusiastic about:
- # of workers: 45+
- Places of work: Toronto, Ontario
- Periods of meditation with Muse®: Over 165 million minutes thus far and presently one of many largest mind information (EEG) collections on the planet.
- Analysis establishments utilizing Muse®: The Mayo Clinic, NASA, Harvard, MIT, U of T, UCL, UCSD, Inria, UVic, UBC, and plenty of extra.
- Meditating with Muse® works: A latest examine at the Catholic College of Milan confirmed that 4 weeks with Muse® considerably lowered stress in addition to doubtlessly influenced useful neuroplastic modifications in customers’ brains, in comparison with controls. Authentic revealed papers from the Balconi Lab examine may be discovered here and here.
- Matan Gottlibe, Oren Rosen, Boaz Weller, Ayed Mahagney, Nicola Omar, Ala Khuri, Isaac Srugo, Jacob Genizi, Stroke identification utilizing a conveyable EEG system – A pilot examine, Neurophysiologie Clinique. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neucli.2019.12.004.
- Wilkinson, C.M., Burrell, J.I., Kuziek, J.W.P. et al. Predicting stroke severity with a 3-min recording from the Muse transportable EEG system for fast prognosis of stroke. Sci Rep 10, 18465 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-75379-w
- Brandler, E. S., Sharma, M., Sinert, R. H. & Levine, S. R. Prehospital stroke scales in city environments: A scientific assessment. Neurology. https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000000523 (2014).
Media Contacts: Talia Noya, Muse, [email protected]
SOURCE Muse by Interaxon Inc.